Welcome to OpenGovernment, a free and non-partisan public resource for government transparency. We're a new version of OpenCongress.org for the Wisconsin legislature.
Track bills, votes, and members of the WI Senate and Assembly. Follow the money trail and the issues you care about. Contact all of your elected officials. Click a category at left to get started, or find out who represents you below.
Legislators in the News
Wisconsin State Legislature
Nov. 6th, 2010
Nov. 2nd, 2008
Here are more links with background on the Wisconsin government and the best explanations of how the legislative branch works:
- Official Wisconsin Department of Justice Open Meetings Information. This initial effort, besides being insufficiently user-friendly, still falls far short of meeting the Eight Principles of Open Government Data.
- WISPIRG ("an independent, state-based, citizen-funded organization that advocates for the public interest") article on Wisconsin Spending Transparency 2.0
- Open Government Guide - Wisconsin, with a focus on open records, from The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, a "national resource in free speech issues".
- Ballotpedia, including the 2010 elections in the Senate and Assembly
- OpenCongress WI state page, including two federal U.S. senators and eight federal representatives
- GovLoop - social networking for government, including employees from federal, state, and local government.
- OpenCongress Wiki Wisconsin state page, including an extensive blogroll of Wisconsin political blogs
- The National Council of State Legislatures' official blog, The Thicket, including more WI political blogs in the left-hand sidebar.
- Stateline - a nonprofit, nonpartisan online news site that practices journalism in the public interest by reporting on emerging trends and issues in state policy and politics. A project of the Pew Center on the States.
- Sunshine Review - Wisconsin, a non-profit organization dedicated to state and local government transparency.
- Common Cause - Wisconsin, a non-profit, non-partisan citizens' lobby organization.
- Wisconsin State Laws online on the Cornell University Legal Information Institute (LII).
Official State Government portal from USA.gov.
... this free public resource is still in early development -- many more data & features are still to come, and you can help us grow
How did we get the above information? Well, the Wisconsin legislature does not make its data available in ways that are fully open, but we worked around it. Read more about our data sources